Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday evening:

Written by Naomi Shields:

The saga continued. The OR has now been renamed the BAR…the Be All Room! Serving as ER, ICU, OR, Post Op recovery it is an apt name. The young man transferred to UofM hospital in Port au Prince, arrived safely and underwent neurosurgery. By text message and phone call, we have learned he is beginning to wake up. The man who stayed here has received 4 units of blood and we are looking for more. He is awake and steadily improving. Everyone has worked through out the day, monitering this young man, seeing clinic, doing rounds and we have joined together for supper and planning for tomorrow. We have organized shifts to cover monitoring the young man in our BAR ICU round the clock. Everyone agrees that the past 24 hours have been stressful but we are glad we were here as both of these young men would have otherwise died. Susan has told me if she is ever complaining about clinic at home, all I have to do is look at her and say “Haiti”! Naomi

Susan Roby: “I can smell myself, or is that one of my team members.” Last night was very intense with traumas that came in. It was amazing to work with people who had only known each other for a limited amount of time and worked together so well. Everyone on our team played a significant roll to pull those two young men through the night. Today’s clinic was full of people that were earthquake victims with some general medical issues in the mix. As I reminded my boss – Dr. Naomi – a gentle reminder, or a slap on the head if I complain about our clinic at home. A reminder of how easy we have it when it comes to health care issues as well as life in general. Watching the Haitian people has also been very interesting. They care for their own, they greet each other with kindness and respect as well as the strangers that have come into their country to help.

PS I promised my family that I wouldn’t come home with any little tag a longs but I had my fingers crossed behind my back. The children here are adorable.

Martha Mayland:

After helping the teams in the OR last night, morning came very soon. Clinic and the regular hospital patients required our attention and have been so grateful for the chance to receive some physical therapy. Jenny Chambers and I are the first PT’s to help some of these patients begin their rehabilitation after multiple injuries from the earthquake. Along with doing their treatments twice a day and seeing the outpatients, we even managed to squeeze in enough time to continue cleaning the sterilization room and clean the dressing room toilet! I think everyone is too tired for the Chickenfeet tonight, maybe the dogs and the birds will take pity on us and let us sleep. The adventure continues tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment