Sunday, March 28, 2010

Closing thoughts






Closing thoughts by Ruth Thomas:

As soon as I knew there was a way to get to Haiti after the earthquake, I wanted to go. Initially Kathy Sexton was the only one who would commit with me. Carlos Lewis wanted to go from the start, but waited to get his shots until I could say it was really going to happen. But I knew we couldn't be a team with just we three. I didn't want to be the lone orthopod, and having done 99% foot and ankle only for the last 20 years, I was a little worried about operating anywhere else in the body. So I asked my fellow, Vinay Sathe, if he would consider going with me. In his typical agreeable fashion he said "oh sure", and I simply wouldn't let him back out. Now we had 4. In mid-February commercial flights to Haiti resumed. Now we could take as many volunteers as we could convince to go. I was trying to convince Loch Trimmingham of Bellingham, Washington to go with me, and initially he agreed. Later a health issue arose and he had to back out. However, in the process of thinking about going he mentioned his plans to Jessica Yoos, an anesthesiologist who works with Loch in Bellingham. Jessica wanted to go, so we signed her up. We needed an anesthesiologist. Now we needed more nurses. Kelly Rusher said yes, then Jessica got June Jones' committment. I read an article about the big need in Haiti for Physical Therapists. I imediately thought of my friend for 30 years, Martha Mayland. I asked, and she too jumped aboard. Majid Saleem needed the blessing of the Anesthesia department at UAMS to take "vacation". We weren't real hopeful because our week coincided with Spring Break. Then, the day we were ready to start buying tickets, Majid got approval. Then Jessica e-mails me and says Jeni Wright, her anesthesia tech has bought her ticket too. Our team is rounding out nicely with 2 surgeons, 3 RN's, 2 anesthesiologists, a therapist, a cast tech, and an anesthesia tech. 10 days before our planned departure I tell Naomi Shields that it is really going to happen, all the details have been worked out, and suddenly she is on the internet and on the phone and she and her nurse, Susan Roby are coming too. We have 12. When we finally found each other and our luggage in the Haiti airport, another physical therapist and a CMA were joining us, Yolanda Malick and Jenny Chambers, from Ohio. We are at 14. We reach the guest house in Pierre Payen and find Tim Pratt, a 3rd year family practice resident from Iowa, and LeeAnn Campbell, an ER nurse from Pennsylvania. Our medical team has hit an amazing 16.
One week later we are all friends. It is difficult to imagine doing what we did this week without any single member of our team. Everyone worked hard. Everybody shared the workload and their snacks. Every member on this team contributed to make this mission successful. Not one member balked at their lack of sleep or campstyle living quarters. Everyone is talking about coming back to Haiti to do this again.
I admire these volunteers. Most of them took vacation to do this. Others took leave without pay. They will not be reimbursed for their expenses. I am especially proud of the younger volunteers with small children at home who still found a way to make this mission trip. They, like me, are hooked on the emotional highs and lows that come with donating your time, energy and resources to help people with real needs.
We did good. We saved the lives of two young men and took medical steps to improve the lives of many others. In exchange we came away with memories that will last a lifetime and a deep appreciation of what it means to be an American. We have new friends, and we have learned something about our neighbors in Haiti.
All missionaries share certain core values. They are good, honest individuals who want to help others. They are willing to self sacrafice and not are not afraid of hard work. They want to understand the culture and get to know the native people. Perhaps that is why this team bonded so well.
As team leader, I want to thank you all for everything you did, and thanks too for keeping a sense of humor and adventure through it all.

Ruth Thomas

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth - Your trip sounds amazing. I am an ER physician going to run a small clinic 20 min. from Pierre Payen hospital at the end of April. I'd like to create ties with the hospital while our team is there. Who do you suggest and how can I contact him/her? Will there be a Haiti Team 11? Thank you for any information you can provide!
    Kimberly Levin
    kimberly_levin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly Levin
    There is a Team 11 at Pierre Payen. I tried to email you, but it returned. Dr. Pratt will be leaving, but Dr. Bonnell should be there until Saturday.

    ReplyDelete