Thursday, March 25, 2010

Kelly and Kathy speak up

Written by Kelly Rushin:
Thursday morning started off great after a breakfast of oatmeal and peanut butter and toast, we got up to walk across the street to the hospital, to check on junior and relieve the ones who were up half the night, Susan had a bag of toys in her hand which attracted a lot of attention, after passing out a couple of kazoos, yoyos and slinkys, it took us awhile to make it into the hospital due to them running and telling all their little friends, I told her and Kathy they might as well stay at the gate till their bag was empty. It breaks my heart when I walk into the hospital seeing family members lying on the concrete floor, with their water pots beside them and still in the same clothes they have had on for several days, but the ones we have gotten to know over the last few days all smile and say bonjour. Junior looked great this morning, his heart rate was the lowest it has been for 4 days it was 115 and his temperature had finally broke, he had a big day ahead of him. The first case started off with a 5 year old who looked about three, with a broken arm who needed pinning, once his surgery was complete, Dr. Salem rolled the OR bed about 6 feet to the left beside junior in the recovery room, he told me to watch his SpO2 and HR and to give Atropine if needed, I quickly asked him what he considered a low heart rate since I don’t take care of pediatric patients, He did great, woke up, gave him back to the caregiver, sent some keflex and motrin with them and they went back to the orphanage. Juniors surgery was next, after a very long OR day, with everyone’s help, It was finally over at about 6PM, as I cleaned up the blood that was all over the floor with rags and some Clorox, because there is only one mop that I didn’t really want to touch, A Couple people stayed over with Junior as the rest of us went to eat. The ladies at the house made homemade pizza which was very good, I will now go take a shower and get some rest to start my turn watching Junior at 4 AM, What an absolutely eye opening experience this has been, I haven’t had to record one of the multitude of drugs and narcotics I have been dispensing, Tomorrow another fun filled day.
This is Kelly signing off.

Written by Kathy Seton:
As the day comes to an end, one thought comes to mind—what day is it? The days are long but very rewarding. As the week has gone by, the thought crossed my mind that when I am at work and we have add on’s, everyone complains because they don’t want to do another case. The thought processs here is “ Great we have another opportunity to help someone because who knows when the next orthopedic surgeon will arrive. The Haitian people are very patient. They always greet you with a smile. They are so very thankful. I have truly loved the work I have done over the past week. I think to myself, wonder where I can go next. I would love to come back here someday. I wonder what will happen to the people we treated and sent on their way. I can say that this experience has changed my life. We have so much to be thankful for. As I sit here writing this, a Haitian is singing a song in the backgound. When you take a look at the Haitians, you can just see the love they have for each other. They drive a very long distance on a tap tap to be with their families that are in the hospital. They bring sheets and blankets and sleep on the ground night after night never leaving the side of their loved one. The children break my heart. If I could figure out a way to take little Christopher home with me, I would. There is a young lady here who wants to be a nurse. She needs a sponsor to be able to do this. After only a minute of thought, Kelly and I decided we would sponsor her. To our disappointment, but delight, team 8 is already in the process of sponsoring Rosemay. These people will forever be in my heart.
Dr. Ruth Thomas assembled a very good team. I have enjoyed working with everyone. I have done things I have never done before. Andrea would be proud that I scrubbed my first IM nail. Good thing she taught me well.
I would love to ask that everyone that reads this blog would take a few minutes and say a prayer for everyone in Haiti. I pray things will change for these people.
All my love to my family because I miss you so much.
This is Kathy signing off.


1 comment:

  1. That picture of JEssica on the left...taken as the 34 week premie was born was "Oh my god what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete